Innovative Travel Solutions strengthens its position as industry-leader with expansion of biometric border control kiosks in 2019
Innovative Travel Solutions (ITS) by Vancouver International Airport (YVR) continues to transform the airport experience of tomorrow, having achieved several milestones in 2019 that include the launch of a pilot program at Keflavik International Airport. To date, ITS’ self-service kiosk solution, BorderXpress, has helped more than 250 million passengers safely clear the border at 43 airport and seaport locations around the world.
This year also saw ITS become the first to meet the Government of Canada’s expanded biometric screening requirements. Under this expansion, all Primary Inspection Kiosks (PIK) at major Canadian airports were updated with fingerprint verification for certain travellers. To date, BorderXpress PIK kiosks have the fastest transaction time compared to competitors.
“This was an incredible year for Innovative Travel Solutions as we continue to be the industry’s largest provider of kiosk-based border control solutions,” says Lynette DuJohn, Vice President, Innovation and Chief Technology Officer, Vancouver Airport Authority. “We look forward to building on this success as we deliver purposeful solutions that are tailored to each airport’s and immigration authority’s unique needs and regulatory environment.”
- In March 2019, BorderXpress Primary Inspection Kiosks were the first to be updated with fingerprint verification, following the Government of Canada’s expanded requirements. The biometric technology further increases the security of the border, while also reducing passenger wait times, and improving passenger flow and operational efficiency.
- ITS sold an additional 110 kiosks throughout the year to seven airports, including expanding its border control program at Grantley Adams International Airport (GAIA) in Barbados with a total of 55 biometric-enabled kiosks now in use.
- In June 2019, a six-month pilot program was launched at Keflavik International Airport in Iceland to simulate the impending requirements of the European Union’s Entry/Exit System (EES). Initial findings showcase excellent average processing times and results will be shared in 2020. Together with the successful implementation of BorderXpress at Pafos and Larnaka Airports in Cyprus, this illustrates that European airport operators have significant potential to utilize this technology given their growth in population, increase in air travel frequency and growing concerns over border security.
- In the fall of 2019, BorderXpress kiosks were configured to meet the requirements of the Canada Border Service Agency’s (CBSA) new NEXUS program. This next generation biometric solution also allowed YVR to become the first Canadian airport to offer NEXUS members an enhanced and more seamless border clearance process. ITS has since sold this solution to other airports in Canada.
- Vancouver Airport Authority was recognized as a leader in Canadian innovation when awarded PwC Canada’s 2019 Vision to Reality award for BorderXpress in the Builder category.
The Year Ahead
As airports around the world strive to keep pace with increased passenger traffic and changing regulations, modernizing border management through the use of biometrics is increasingly becoming a priority.
Biometric kiosks – like BorderXpress – are an adaptable and smart solution that unites efficiency, safety and security.
“We understand the needs of passengers and airports because we are airport operators, ourselves,” says Chris Gilliland, Director of Innovative Travel Solutions. “Making an informed decision has never been more important and we continue to be encouraged by new airports and governments who realize the importance of modernizing their borders with biometric border control solutions like BorderXpress kiosks. Now is the time to evolve with the airport experience of tomorrow.”
Innovative Travel Solutions will also be part of AXS by YVR in Vancouver from April 16-17, 2020. The inaugural summit will bring together senior leadership industry innovators and disruptors to identify new ways to collaborate and solve key issues facing the airport industry. For registration information, visit http://www.axsyvr.ca/.
About Innovative Travel Solutions by Vancouver International Airport
Innovative Travel Solutions (ITS) is the innovation team at Vancouver International Airport (YVR), voted North America’s Best Airport for 10 straight years by Skytrax World Airport Awards. In 2009, the innovation team implemented BorderXpress at Vancouver International Airport and soon discovered that other airports and governments might also want the ability to reduce wait times and increase their international arrivals traffic without having to add additional space or staffing resources. As of December 2019, BorderXpress has processed more than 250 million passengers at 43 airport, seaport and onboard sites around the world and has sold over 1,700 kiosks. In 2018, the team at ITS set their sights on the next innovation in the evolution of the passenger experience with the launch of CheckitXpress, the world’s most accessible, efficient and intuitive self-service bag drop. CheckitXpress improves ease of use for travellers regardless of age, digital fluency, language or mobility, and is the result of a collaboration between YVR and Glidepath, one of the world’s leaders in airport baggage handling.
For further information:
YVR Media Relations